Mrs. Alisa Rodgers
Mrs. Alisa Rodgers
Director, Sponsored Programs
Admin. Building, Room 100
Phone: 757.727.5310

Hampton University considers the creation of new knowledge through research and the dissemination of this knowledge to society as important aspects of its mission. The purpose of research at Hampton University is threefold: (1) to advance new frontiers of scientific inquiry and to produce new knowledge; (2) to rigorously provide a high quality, value-added education for its students; and (3) to translate lessons learned from science to the public using a multifaceted partnership approach to accelerate the translation of research into practice.

The University recognizes that teaching and research are essential academic activities and that research is essential to good teaching. Accordingly, faculty are expected to actively engage in research, scholarly activities and grantsmanship. Moreover, The Faculty Handbook states that research is one of three (along with teaching and professional services) equally-weighted criteria for promotion, tenure, merit increments, and other rewards of the academy.

The Office of Sponsored Programs is primarily responsible for pre-award activities that begin proposal development and proceeds through proposal submission, award negotiation and execution. Additionally, this office participates in the negotiation and interpretation of intellectual property terms in grants and contracts in order to ensure that the rights of sponsors and developers of technology are protected. Sub-awards also are prepared and negotiated in this office.

Financial Support for Research

Policies and Procedures

Researchers' Informational Forum

Services offered by OSP:

  • Assistance with proposal editing and formatting (time permitting)
  • Review of budget/justification (including subcontract budgets)
  • Assistance with submission of grants, contracts, cooperative agreement and task order proposals
  • Track all Intent and proposal submissions
  • Act as liaison between funding sources and the University on all contractual matters

Frequently Asked Questions

What are our indirect and fringe rates?

Facilities & Administrative Rates
Organized Research On-Campus 50%
Organized Research Off-Campus 26.0%
Fringe Benefits 23.11%

What is the difference between a gift and a grant?

Grants are typically more restrictive than gifts and usually require specified monitoring and accounting procedures, as well as other terms and conditions. Gift accounts are established when funds from outside sources are for unrestricted use and are free of the constraints or obligations.

Grants are awarded to the University by external sources in support of research, instruction, training, or services under an agreement that includes any one of the following:

  • The award instrument is an agreement that binds the University to a set of terms and conditions and requires endorsement.
  • The agreement obligates the investigator to a line of scholarly or scientific inquiry that typically follows a plan, provides for orderly testing or evaluation, or seeks to meet stated performance goals.
  • The agreement establishes an understanding of how funds will be used or includes a line budget that identifies expenses by activity, function, or project period.
  • The agreement requires fiscal accountability as evidenced by the submission of financial reports to the sponsor, an audit provision, or the return of unexpected funds at the conclusion of the project.
  • The agreement creates an obligation to report project results or dispose of tangible or intangible properties resulting from the project. Examples of tangible properties include equipment, records, technical reports, theses or dissertations. Intangible properties include rights in data, copyrights or inventions.
  • The agreements seek considerations such as indemnifications or imposes other terms that require legal accountability.

What is the minimum amount of release time that I can include in my budget?

Hampton University’s policy is that a minimum of 25% release time should be budgeted. Exceptions must be approved by the Provost.

How do I obtain Banner access to my budget?

To obtain access to Banner individuals must complete Banner training.  To request training complete the Banner Training Request form.  Upon successful completion of the training session, access to the accounts that you 'own' will be provided.  If you experience problems or need additional assistance, please contact, please contact BANNERJOBS@hamptonu.edu

I received an award notice for my grant. What should I do with it?

Normally, award notices are sent directly from the funding source to the Office of Sponsored Programs.  If you receive a notice, please forward it to OSP.  This will allow proper record and establishment of the account.

How can I obtain a NSF Fastlane account?

Send a request via email to sponsoredprograms@hamptonu.edu with the following information:

  • Full name – First, Middle Initial, Last
  • Office telephone number
  • Email address
  • Department name
  • Highest Degree
  • Year the Degree was obtained

How can I obtain a NIH eRA Commons ID?

Send a request via email to sponsoredprograms@hamptonu.edu with the following information:

  • Desired User ID
  • Full name – First, Middle Initial, Last
  • Email address

Can an HU faculty be listed as a consultant on my grant proposal?

No, HU faculty cannot be listed or paid as consultants. They may be compensated with either release time/account 6048 or salary support/account 6001. Please contact the Office of Sponsored Programs for additional information.

I received an award that requires an authorized signature. Since it is my grant, am I authorized to sign in acceptance of the award?

No. Please provide the award document to the Office of Sponsored Programs so that they can work with you to have the document properly signed. Only the VP for Business Affairs and Treasurer and the President are authorized to sign on behalf of the University. OSP will process the award for signature.

Who can help me with a material transfer agreement, teaming agreement, non-disclosure agreement or memorandum of understanding?

Negotiation and execution of these agreements are handled by the Office of Sponsored Programs in cooperation with General Counsel. Forward your document to Sponsored Programs, along with background information that details why the agreement is required as well as any relevant deadlines.

What is HU’s tax ID number? DUNS #?

Tax ID # 54-0505990

DUNS# 003135068

Please see General University Info tab on the HU Sponsored Programs website.

What is the difference between a grant, a contract and a gift?

A grant is a funding mechanism that support work on a specified project where the responsibility for performance rests primarily with the grant recipient. Grants are typically awarded by local, state and federal governments as well as private organizations. A grantor may elect to have substantial involvement in the project or not (substantial involvement would denote a cooperative agreement).

A contract is a funding mechanism that establishes a procurement relationship between the parties. It obligates the recipient to provide deliverables that are outlined in the contract, in return for payment.

Both grants and contracts have specified terms and/or conditions that detail the responsibilities of both the sponsor and the recipient; and, there is some type of detailed quid quo pro.

A gift, on the other hand, are funds (or any item of value) given to the University by a donor who expects nothing in return.

I’ve been working with the Office of Development to submit a grant, do I need to contact Sponsored Programs?

Yes. All grant and contract proposals must be submitted through the Office of Sponsored Programs.

I’ve been working with the Office of Development in pursuit of a major gift from an individual, do I need to contact Sponsored Programs?

No. Gifts are handled by Development and need not be submitted through Sponsored Programs. Tip: Be certain that if funded, no terms or conditions will be attached. If any terms and conditions are present, the funds are not being 'gifted' and must be submitted through the Office of Sponsored Programs. Please call Sponsored Programs for assistance.

My grant is small, do I have to include indirect costs?

Yes. Hampton University includes full indirect costs (IDC) in all proposals unless otherwise restricted by the sponsor. Tip: In some cases, IDC exceptions may be requested; however, the PI will need to provide a strong reason to justify an exception. Please call Sponsored Programs for assistance.

Is it ok if I submit a proposal directly to a sponsor without contacting the Office of Sponsored Programs or submitting anything through ImageNow?

No. All grant and contract proposals must receive institutional approvals prior to submission. The Office of Sponsored Programs is the only office authorized to submit grants/contracts on behalf of the University. Please call Sponsored Programs for assistance and/or submit an Intent to Submit form as soon as you identify an opportunity to pursue.

My grant does not allow indirect costs. Is that ok?

If the sponsor does not allow indirect costs (IDC). Contact the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) and provide a categorical estimate of your proposed costs as well as written documentation of the sponsor's policy regarding indirect costs. OSP will then assist you in obtaining an IDC exception.

When must my proposal be submitted to Sponsored Programs?

Your complete and final proposal package should be routed so that it arrives in the Office of Sponsored Programs at least five (5) business days prior to the submission deadline. This will allow for a thorough compliance review, time to obtain remaining institutional approvals and, hopefully, time for an early submission.

I have questions about submitting a proposal. Who can help me?

Please call the Office of Sponsored Programs at either (757) 727-5363 or (757) 727-5326. Or email sponsoredprograms@hamptonu.edu to request a call or meeting.

General University Information For Sponsored Projects

Click here to view General University Information ▶

Grants.gov Electronic Submission

Use of the Grants.gov web site to research and apply for funding opportunities can be outlined in four simple steps.

  1. Find available grant opportunities - The Grants.gov website provides a searchable list of all discretionary grants offered by the 26 federal grant-making agencies.
  2. Register with Grants.gov (Only at the university level) - In order to apply for a grant, you must complete the Grants.gov registration process. The registration process can take between three to five business days or as long as four weeks if all steps are not completed in a timely manner. So please register early!
  3. Apply - After registering, you are free to apply for the funding opportunities you uncover in your search. Follow the steps you must complete to apply for grant opportunities.
  4. Track your application - After submitting your application, use the Grants.gov tracking number to monitor the processing status of your application.

Additional tips:

  • After the application is submitted electronically, the applicant will receive the three emails below.
    1. An automatic acknowledgement from Grants.gov of the application's submission that will provide a Grants.gov tracking number. (The date-time stamp for this email serves as the official record of your application submission.)
    2. An acknowledgement from Grants.gov that the submitted application package has passed or failed a series of checks and validations.
    3. An acknowledgement that the application has been retrieved and received by the funding agency.
  • The electronic application must comply with any page limitation requirements described in the program announcement.
  • It is strongly recommended that the applicant retain a printed hard copy of the application.